Below is some key information to help long-term care facilities (LTCFs) prepare for collecting annual healthcare personnel (HCP) influenza vaccination summary data for the 2023-2024 influenza season.
Which facilities are required to report these data?
- CMS-certified skilled nursing facilities (SNFs) are required to report HCP influenza vaccination summary data through NHSN.
What data are submitted?
- The reporting period for the 2023-2024 influenza season is from October 1, 2023, through March 31, 2024. Facilities are only required to submit one report that covers the entire reporting period by May 15, 2024.
How should facilities submit these data?
- Facilities must report annual HCP influenza vaccination summary data through the NHSN Healthcare Personnel Safety (HPS) Component.
Who can activate the HPS Component?
- Only the NHSN Facility Administrator (FA) can activate a new component. The NHSN FA can then add users, including the HPS Component Primary Contact, once the component is activated.
- If the NHSN FA leaves the facility but does not transfer the role of FA to another individual prior to leaving, please complete the NHSN Facility Administrator Change Request Form: https://www.cdc.gov/nhsn/facadmin/index.html.
- Please do not de-activate any other NHSN Components, such as the LTC Facility Component.
How can LTCFs add the HPS Component?
- Instructions on how LTCFs can add the HPS Component are outlined in this document: Enrollment Level 3 Access and HPS Component Activation (cdc.gov).
Where can facilities access training materials?
- Materials pertaining to annual HCP influenza vaccination data reporting are organized under the “Annual” reporting headings on this webpage: HCP Flu Vaccination | HPS | NHSN | CDC.
What are key training materials for LTCFs?
- This slide deck reviews how LTC facilities can report annual HCP influenza vaccination data through NHSN: Healthcare Personnel Safety Component Healthcare Personnel Vaccination Module Influenza Vaccination Summary Long-Term Care Facilities (cdc.gov).
- This operational guidance document outlines the CMS reporting requirement: Operational Guidance for Skilled Nursing Facilities to Report Annual Influenza Vaccination Data to CDC’s NHSN.
Are there any upcoming trainings for LTCFs?
- Yes, there will be two refresher trainings on reporting annual HCP influenza vaccination summary data on November 21 and November 28. The content for each webinar is the same. After registering, you will receive a confirmation e-mail containing information about joining the webinar.
When: Tuesday, November 21, 2023, at 1:00 PM ET
Register in advance for this webinar: https://cdc.zoomgov.com/webinar/register/WN_PcTHDlv6SC6xyA1VYUEurQ
When: Tuesday, November 28, 2023, at 1:00 PM ET
Register in advance for this webinar: https://cdc.zoomgov.com/webinar/register/WN_lx1CWu4OSTmUDyuPgoo7AA
Who do facilities contact with questions?
- Please direct all questions regarding CMS SNF QRP requirements and deadlines to: SNFQualityQuestions@cms.hhs.gov.
- If you have any additional questions or concerns, please use NHSN-ServiceNow to submit questions to the NHSN Help Desk. The new portal can be accessed here and should be used in place of email@example.com. ServiceNow will help the NHSN team respond to your questions faster. Users will be authenticated using CDC’s Secure Access Management Services (SAMS), the same way you access NHSN. If you do not have a SAMS login, or are unable to access ServiceNow, you can still e-mail the NHSN Help Desk at: firstname.lastname@example.org, with “HPS Flu Summary – LTCF” in the e-mail subject line.
Thank you for your efforts reporting annual HCP influenza vaccination summary data through NHSN.