We have received questions regarding when communication with Engineering Consultation Unit (ECU) is needed. When completing any of the activities listed below, please reach out to the ECU for review.
- Additions to existing licensed facilities or premises
- Major remodeling
- Equipment replacement (mechanical, generator, fire alarm components)
- Relocation of any resident use areas (physical therapy, dining rooms, conversion of rooms to resident bedrooms)
- Creation of designated units (memory care units and special care units)
- Removal or construction of ANY walls, doors, and ceilings – even if not located in a rated wall
- Changing the use of existing rooms
- Exterior changes to the building that include addition of structures (canopy, gazebo, trellis), site work such as sidewalk revisions at exit paths and lighting
- Adding locking hardware to exit doors including interior and exterior doors
- Roof replacement
- Some interior finish work such as flooring and wallcovering may need to be reviewed to determine the fire rating classification.
When is ECU approval not required?
- Interior finish work (painting, flooring, ceiling tiles)
ECU does not charge any fees to review projects.
If uncertain whether a review is needed, please contact the ECU at ECU@health.mo.gov.
Please retain all ECU correspondence with other facility records.
David East and Carrie (Brixey) Schaumburg