Life Safety Code Reminder: The 2012 NFPA annual door inspections need to be completed by July 5, 2017
NFPA 80, 2010 edition:
3.3.95 Qualified Person. A person who, by possession of a recognized degree, certificate, professional standing, or skill, and who, by knowledge, training, and experience, has demonstrated the ability to deal with the subject matter, the work, or the project.
18.104.22.168 Functional testing of fire door and window assemblies shall be performed by individuals with knowledge and understanding of the operating components of the type of door being subject to testing.
22.214.171.124 Before testing, a visual inspection shall be performed to identify any damaged or missing parts that can create a hazard during testing or affect operation or resetting.
5.2.4 Swinging Doors with Builders Hardware or Fire Door Hardware.
126.96.36.199 Fire door assemblies shall be visually inspected from both sides to assess the overall condition of door assembly.
188.8.131.52 As a minimum, the following items shall be verified:
(1) No open holes or breaks exist in surfaces of either the door or frame.
(2) Glazing, vision light frames, and glazing beads are intact and securely fastened in place, if so equipped.
(3) The door, frame, hinges, hardware, and noncombustible threshold are secured, aligned, and in working order with no visible signs of damage.
(4) No parts are missing or broken.
(5) Door clearances do not exceed clearances listed in 4.8.4 and 184.108.40.206.
(6) The self-closing device is operational; that is, the active door completely closes when operated from the full open position.
(7) If a coordinator is installed, the inactive leaf closes before the active leaf.
(8) Latching hardware operates and secures the door when it is in the closed position.
(9) Auxiliary hardware items that interfere or prohibit operation are not installed on the door or frame.
(10) No field modifications to the door assembly have been performed that void the label.
(11) Gasketing and edge seals, where required, are inspected to verify their presence and integrity.