CMS S&C Memo 17-05-ALL: Information on the Implementation Plans for the Emergency Preparedness Regulation
- Information for Implementation: The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) Survey and Certification Group is providing general information regarding the implementation plans for the new Emergency Preparedness Rule. The information addresses the implementation date for providers and suppliers, the development of Interpretive Guidelines (IGs), surveyor training and resources available to assist in the implementation of this regulation.
- Affects all 17 providers and suppliers: The regulation affects all 17 providers and suppliers and must be fully implemented by November 15, 2017.
The CMS memo is here or you may visit www.cms.gov/Medicare/Provider-Enrollment-and-Certification/SurveyCertificationGenInfo/Policy-and-Memos-to-States-and-Regions-Items/Survey-and-Cert-Letter-17-05.html?DLPage=1&DLEntries=10&DLSort=2&DLSortDir=descending.
CMS S&C Memo 17-03-NH: Save the Date: Training for Phase 1 Implementation of New Nursing Home Regulations
- Need for Training: The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) is developing an online training for Regional Offices (RO), State Survey Agencies (SA), providers and other stakeholders on the new Nursing Home Regulations.
- Training Content and Availability: The online training will include information about Phase 1 of new Nursing Home Regulations, and will be available to all parties starting November 18, 2016.
- Mandatory Requirement: All Long Term Care (LTC) surveyors are required to complete this training in order to be able to conduct any LTC surveys after November 28, 2016.
The CMS memo is attached or you may visit www.cms.gov/Medicare/Provider-Enrollment-and-Certification/SurveyCertificationGenInfo/Policy-and-Memos-to-States-and-Regions-Items/Survey-and-Cert-Letter-17-03.html?DLPage=1&DLEntries=10&DLFilter=nh&DLSort=2&DLSortDir=descending.
- This version of the MDS 3.0 RAI Manual incorporates the new Section GG: Functional Abilities and Goals, the new Part A PPS Discharge assessment, and clarifications to existing coding and transmission policy; it also addresses clarifications and scenarios concerning complex areas.
CMS Provider Training Regarding the new Section GG can be found on You Tube:
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Stacey Bryan at (573)751-6308 or Stacey.Bryan@health.mo.gov.
Protecting Resident Privacy and Prohibiting Mental Abuse Related to Photographs and Audio/Video Recordings by Nursing Home Staff
- Each resident has the right to be free from all types of abuse, including mental abuse. Mental abuse includes, but is not limited to, abuse that is facilitated or caused by nursing home staff taking or using photographs or recordings in any manner that would demean or humiliate a resident(s).
- This CMS memo discusses the facility and State responsibilities related to the protection of residents
The CMS memo is attached or you may visit https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Provider-Enrollment-and-Certification/SurveyCertificationGenInfo/Downloads/Survey-and-Cert-Letter-16-33.pdf
CMS is implementing a national policy that requires the use of federal enforcement remedies when one or more residents suffer significant harm.
This new policy is effective for all surveys completed on or after September 1, 2016.
Please see the attached memo or you may visit https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Provider-Enrollment-and-Certification/SurveyCertificationGenInfo/Policy-and-Memos-to-States-and-Regions-Items/Survey-and-Cert-Letter-16-31.html?DLPage=1&DLEntries=10&DLFilter=nh&DLSort=2&DLSortDir=descending
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) made several changes to the quality measure (QM) domain of the Five Star Nursing Home Quality Rating System. These include the addition of five new measures and several methodological changes.
The manual is available at https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Provider-Enrollment-and-Certification/CertificationandComplianc/downloads/usersguide.pdf
The Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) has published in the Federal Register on September 6, 2016 an IFR which adjusts for inflation CMP amounts authorized under the Social Security Act. (See Adjustment of Civil Monetary Penalties for Inflation)
The IFR establishes new section 45 CFR Part 102, which lists the new CMP amounts and ranges as adjusted by the IFR for affected regulations. The changes made by the IFR are effective on September 6, 2016.
The IFR addresses all applicable CMPs under the authority of HHS but we are highlighting only on those CMPs assessed for Skilled Nursing facilities (SNFs), Nursing Facilities (NFs), SNFs/NFs, Home Health Agencies (HHAs), and Clinical laboratories.
Please see Attachment A for this S&C here.
For more information about this memo you may visit www.cms.gov/Medicare/Provider-Enrollment-and-Certification/SurveyCertificationGenInfo/Policy-and-Memos-to-States-and-Regions-Items/Survey-and-Cert-Letter-16-40.html?DLPage=1&DLEntries=10&DLFilter=nh&DLSort=2&DLSortDir=descending.